Intellectual Property Services
Trade Secret Links
- Tennessee Statute TCA 39-14-138 "Theft of trade secrets" states that it is a crime for someone to take a trade secret. Tennessee has adopted The Uniform Trade Secrets Act: TCA 47-25-1701, et seq. This act describes the law regarding trade secrets in Tennessee. Other states may have differing laws regarding trade secrets.
Information about Invention Service Companies
- Invention companies: The PTO offers a brochure for inventors concerning scam prevention. http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/documents/scamprevent.pdf.
- Section 47-25-1221 of the Tennessee Code provides a civil action against "invention developers" who do not live up to their promises. The Tennessee statute says:
- (a) Any person who has been injured by a violation of this part by an invention developer, or by any false or fraudulent statement, representation, or omission of material fact by an invention developer, or by failure of an invention developer to make all the disclosures required by § 47-25-1207, may bring a civil action against the invention developer for the greater of the following amounts:
- (1) Three thousand dollars ($3,000)
- (2) Three (3) times the amount of the actual damages, if any, sustained by the plaintiff.
- (b) In addition to the greater of the preceding amounts, the court may award reasonable attorney's fees to the plaintiff.
- If you have entered into a contract with an invention service company, please call so that we can review your contract together.
The Rules of Professional Conduct of the states where our offices are located require the following language: This website is operated by Peter L. Brewer. Mr. Brewer is the Managing Member of Energy IP, LLC, which is affiliated with the law firm of Stipkala & Klosowski LLC. No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.
Peter L. Brewer is licensed in Tennessee and Texas. Stipkala & Klosowski LLC has offices in Tennessee and South Carolina. Appointments to discuss intellectual property matters may be conducted via telephone, skype, or via offices in Texas, Tennessee or South Carolina.
Login | Powered by RocketFuel®
Copyright © 2007-2019 Oil Field Patents