About the Firm
Energy IP is a brand name associated with the intellectual property firm of Thrive IP. Thrive IP is an intellectual property law firm having offices in Tennessee and South Carolina.
Energy IP was formed by Peter L. Brewer to provide patent and trademark services to the upstream oil and gas industry and to the energy field. Peter is one of only a few attorneys in the United States who is both a registered patent attorney and a degreed petroleum engineer.
Peter is a native of the Permian Basin of West Texas. After attending high school in Midland, he attended Texas A&M University in College Station. Peter was a member of the petroleum engineering honor society and was a recipient of several academic scholarships. During school, he worked as a summer engineer for Texaco Oil Company.
Before attending law school, Peter gained experience working as a production engineer for Gulf Oil Company in Odessa, Texas. He reviewed production histories and decline curves, and prepared workover procedures for specific wells.
During law school, Peter took courses in oil and gas law and patent law. Upon graduation, he was selected to serve as a Briefing Attorney to the Supreme Court of Texas.
Peter has previously worked for a large national intellectual property firm in their Houston, Texas office. He also worked for almost 15 years for a large, full-service law firm in their Houston, Texas and Knoxville, Tennessee offices. He has provided patent services for the nation’s largest oil and gas E&P company and one of the nation’s largest oilfield service companies. He has also filed numerous patent applications for independent inventors and small R&D companies having “oil patch” technology.
Many of Peter’s patent applications have related to directional drilling, horizontal completion procedures, formation fracturing operations, and downhole tools. A list of Representative Patents http://www.oilfieldpatents.com/representative_patents/ is provided.
In connection with his patent practice, Peter assists clients in obtaining patent protection in other countries. Peter has worked with firms in Scotland, Norway, Australia, Canada, China, Argentina, Columbia, Oman, U.A.E., Mexico and elsewhere. Energy IP is a member of the Association of Intellectual Property Firms, providing a rich network of experienced intellectual property practitioners across the world.
Peter is a frequent speaker at professional events. A few of his speaking engagements include:
- CLE Panelist ̶ “Economics of an IP Practice,” Spring 2018 Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association CLE Program (May 2017)
- CLE Speaker ̶ “Ethics and the Office of Enrollment and Discipline,” Dallas IP Bar Meeting (April 2018)
- CLE Speaker – "IP Issues Lurking in Your Contracts," KBA Corporate Counsel Section CLE (August 2017)
- CLE Program Moderator – Ethics Panel, The Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association Fall 2016 CLE Seminar (November 2016)
- CLE Panelist – "Responding to Claims of the BSA," The Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association Fall 2015 CLE Seminar (November 2015)
- CLE Speaker – "Ethics and the OED," State Bar of Texas Intellectual Property Law Symposium, Houston, Texas (March 2015)
- CLE Speaker – "Dealing With IP Trolls," KBA Corporate Counsel Section CLE (August 2014)
- CLE Speaker – "What Does An IP Troll Look Like?," Spring 2014 Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association CLE Program, Nashville, Tennessee (May 2014)
- CLE Speaker – "IP Trolls and Treasure," 2014 Knoxville Bar Association Intellectual Property Program, Knoxville, Tennessee (February 2014)
- Symposium Speaker – "Legal Issues for the Tennis Teaching Professional," 2014 PTR International Symposium, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (February 2014)
- CLE Program Moderator – 2014 KBA Corporate Counsel Section CLE Program, Knoxville, Tennessee (August 2013)
- CLE Speaker – "Ethics and the OED," 2012 Houston Intellectual Property Law Association Annual Seminar, Galveston, Texas (October 2012)
- Guest Speaker – "The Commercialization of Intellectual Property," 2012 Launch Memphis Business Incubator Program, Memphis, Tennessee (July 2012)
- Guest Speaker – "Intellectual Property for the Visual Artist," Arts & Culture Alliance, Knoxville, Tennessee (July 2012)
- Guest Speaker – "What Every Business Owner Should Know About Intellectual Property," Knoxville Chamber of Commerce (May 2012)
- Guest Speaker – "Patents and the Energy Industry," Texas A&M Energy Club, College Station, Texas (September 2011)
- CLE Speaker – "Ownership of Inventions," Tennessee Bar Association statewide webcast (June 2011)
- CLE Panelist – "Inducement to Infringe a Patent," Tennessee Bar Association Annual IP Symposium, Nashville, Tennessee (March 2011)